Wai Ki Ki Chicken was one of the best recipes of my mother,- with a relationship to Hawai, light but full of flavors, freshness and different aromas. Goes best with healthy brown rice
4 person serve:
- 6 Chicken legs ( 150 g each )
- 10 no Rakhine fresh Green Pepper Corn, crunched
- 2 teaspoon Iodized refined Salt
- 4 Onions cut in ½ cm cubes
- 2 Carrots cut in ½ cm cubes
- 1 Ngapali Pineapple cut in 1 x 1 cm cubes
- 6 long – big Chili ( Serrano )
- 100 g fresh Ginger
- 6 x 1/2 Garlic Clove, just as you cut them
- 1/2 pack Fresh Oregano
- 1/2 pack Fresh Thyme
- 5 young Lemmon Grass sticks
- 2 Original Bay Leaves
- 3 Cinnamon sticks ( 4 cm )
- 5 Tbsp Dark Soya Sauce ( up to taste )
- 2 cup Red Wine ( best is Port Wine )
- ½ cup of good Cooking Oil
Clean, Cut and Marinate 24 hours first:
- 1.) Wash all vegetable & ginger with clean water. Peel carrots, onions, garlic, pineapple and slice as mentioned. Crush the ginger and cut into 4 to 5 pieces. Cut the long red chili s into 2 cm long pieces.
- 2.) Wash the chicken legs, cut into half
- 3.) Mix all ingredients together and marinate with dark soya sauce and red wine ( or port wine ) for 24 hours covered in a fridge.
How to cook:
- 4.) Heat up cooking oil in a high pot, season chicken with some salt and fry crisp brown for some minutes from all sides.
- 5.) Than add all other ingredients, herbs and spices from the marinade.
- 6.) Stir it to be equal mixed and cover with a lid and braise it until the chicken and the carrots are well cooked.
- If the sauce is still to liquid, than strain out and reduce a bit and season up to your liking.
How to serve:
A Quick Hot Season Dish: As you can do the main preparations a day ahead the actual cooking time is only as long as it takes the chicken legs and the carrots to get well done,- the rice or Cous Cous cooked aside. The Wai Ki Ki Chicken is light, and refreshing best for Hot days at the Beach.
Oliver E Soe Thet Ngapali Beach – Rakhine State, Myanmar 7.7.2014
- Serve in a big bowl and have the Chicken Legs nice dressed atop with chili s, bay leave, cinnamon stick and half garlic s as nice decoration.
- Service with brown healthy “B1″ rice also well with Cous Cous to serve.