In Myanmar, Noodle with Fish Soup is better known as Mote Hin Gar. Mote means Noodle and Hin Gar means soup. Mote Hin Gar is one of the favourite breakfasts in Myanmar. We can buy mote hin gar from teashop, street shop and market every morning. It sells between 200 kyats to 500 kyats. Mote Hin Gar soup is made with cat fish. It is sweet and tasty. Mote Hin Gar has many cooking methods. Now let me explain Hin The Da Mon hin Ga’s recipe step by step. HinTaDa Mon Hin Ga is a little different from a more traditional Yangon Mon Hin Ga.
Mote Hin Gar Ingredients
- 1Kg thin rice noodle
- 640g cleaned cat fish, Mrigal, Murral
- 100g roasted rice flour (stir with 100g of water)
- 160g chicken pea (boil until tender and blend with blender). Note: Keep chicken pea boiled stock to reuse later
- Springs of fresh cilantro chopped
- 10 fried pea
- 10 duck egg (boil until cooked)
- 20 peeled Onion
Fish Paste Ingrdients
- 320g chopped onion
- 150g chopped garlic
- 80g chopped ginger
- 2 stalks lemon grass, thick bottom part only, outer layers discarded, inner part minced
- 160g vegetable oil
- 2 ground dried red chilli pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 headed tablespoon black pepper
- Cooking recipes
- Boil cat fish, Mrigal, Murral with water(300g), fishsauce(1/3 cup), lemon grass(1) for 5-7 minutes until lightly cooked. Keep the fish stock for reuse later.
- Then remove the fishes from boiling pot, debone and skin, then flake flesh.
Fish Paste Cooking Method
- Heat oil in a large wok. Fry onion, garlic, ginger and lemon grass until fragrant.
- Add chilli paste and turmeric. Add fish fillet, black pepper and stir fry for 2-3 minutes until fish meat are cooked.
- Add salt (1 teaspoon) and chicken powder (1 teaspoon), and then remove the wok from the heat.
HinTaDa Mote Hin Gar Cooking Method
- Heat a large pot. Add fish paste, chicken pea stock, fish stock, water (2 liters), 2 lemon grass and stir until boil.
- Add roasted rice flour, blended chicken pea then stir well.
- Add fish sauce (1cup), salt (1 tablespoon) and sugar (1 tablespoon).
- Add boiled duck egg and black pepper (half tablespoon).
- Add onion last and stir 2-3 minutes.
- How to serve with noodle
- Put a handful of noodle into a bowl.
- Add one or two pieces of fried pea and crush them with your hand.
- Add a few cilantro and add 1 cupful of fish soup. Serve hot.